First phase of conservation repairs completed at Collegehill House

The first phase of a conservation repair programme has been completed at Collegehill House, adjacent to Rosslyn Chapel. Dating from 1660, Collegehill House is a Category B-listed building, which served as an inn until 1866.

The work, undertaken by Rosslyn Chapel Trust and overseen by Page\Park Architects, was carried out with the aim of making minimum change.  Within the programme of work, failing lime harling has been replaced and coloured to its original deep orange, broken clay pantiles have been replaced with new, pre-aged tiles of exact dimensions, and cracked window panes have been carefully conserved with all existing inscriptions retained. As an inn, the building provided accommodation for countless visitors to the Chapel, many of whom have inscribed their names or messages on the window panes.

The main contractors were Campbell & Smith and the windows were conserved and repaired by Scottish Glass Studios, in Glasgow.

Alistair King, of Page\Park Architects, said: ‘This programme has been essential to conserve Collegehill House and it is wonderful to see one of Midlothian’s most prominent buildings now in much better shape.’

A second phase of work, planned to commence in early 2018, will refresh the building’s interior. A new wood-burning stove has been fitted in the large living room and this will be supplemented in the next phase by a new heating system linking to the Chapel’s biomass boiler.

Collegehill House is available for self-catering holiday accommodation through a partnership with The Landmark Trust.

1 September 2017|Categories: Conservation|