Castle’s Great Hall roofed again

A permanent  roof is now visible over the Great Hall of Rosslyn Castle –  for the first time since 1650. A major programme of restoration and repair at one of Midlothian’s most historic sites has reached a new milestone as the first layers of scaffolding were removed, after being in place for nearly a year, revealing the roof.

Rosslyn Castle, just a short walk from Rosslyn Chapel, was built by the St Clair family and is now in the care of Rosslyn Chapel Trust. Although much of the Castle site is in a ruined condition, the East Range is still occupied and let as holiday accommodation in partnership with The Landmark Trust. The roof now covering the Great Hall will protect important late 16th-century masonry carvings and three levels of vaults below ground. It will also allow a new kitchen and living area to be created at ground level and an additional bedroom to be located in the Tower. The East Range was developed as a domestic residence and completed in 1622.

Bonnyrigg-based construction company, John Dennis & Company (Scotland) Ltd, is the principal contractor for the work at Rosslyn Castle, which is being undertaken by Rosslyn Chapel Trust. The Trust has commissioned Page\Park as architects to oversee the work.

Rosslyn Castle was attacked at various times, including in 1544 during ‘The Rough Wooing’ and in November 1650 by Cromwell’s troops under General Monk.

You can find out more about the project by clicking here: Rosslyn Castle restoration and repair

Picture: K Neville

12 March 2024|Categories: Conservation|
The Official Rosslyn Chapel Website