Over 550 people visited Collegehill House, adjacent to Rosslyn Chapel, last weekend (8 and 9 September) as part of the Midlothian Doors Open Day programme.
Collegehill House dates back to 1660 and was used as an inn until 1863. The building is now in the care of Rosslyn Chapel Trust and available for self-catering holiday accommodation through a partnership with the Landmark Trust. As well as seeing inside the house, 558 visitors were be able to find out more about Landmark Trust’s work and properties in their care.
The participation in Doors Open Day marks the end of a major programme of work to the house. The first phase (April to August 2017) included reharling and lime washing the exterior, repairs to the roof and chimneys, and conservation repairs were carried out to the windows. Within the second phase (January to April 2018), interior damp-proofing works were carried out, improvements were made to the basement and bathroom, the heating has been upgraded and the interior redecorated.