A major programme of restoration and repair at one of Midlothian’s most historic sites has reached a milestone this week, with the completion of scaffolding on the south face of Rosslyn Castle’s East Range and a temporary protective canopy installed over the former Great Hall. The scaffolding has been purposefully designed to have minimum impact on the Category A listed building, ensuring that the existing fabric is protected throughout the duration of the project.
Rosslyn Castle, just a short walk from Rosslyn Chapel, was built by the St Clair family and the oldest parts date back to the early 14th century. Although much of the site is in a ruined condition, the East Range, developed as a domestic residence and completed in 1622, is still partly occupied and let as holiday accommodation in partnership with The Landmark Trust. However, some parts of the East Range, the former Great Hall and Tower, have remained in a ruinous state, leading to further deterioration including to the vaults below ground level. A permanent roof is now being built to cover the former Great Hall, to protect important masonry carvings and the three levels of vaults below. This will also allow a new kitchen and living area to be created at ground level and an additional bedroom to be located in the former Tower. Work also includes the upgrading of the energy efficiency of the whole building and the development of a new sustainable heating strategy.
Bonnyrigg-based construction company, John Dennis & Company (Scotland) Ltd, is the principal contractor for the work at Rosslyn Castle, which is being undertaken by Rosslyn Chapel Trust. The Trust has commissioned Page\Park as architects to oversee the work.
You can read more about the project via this link: Rosslyn Castle restoration
Images: Macbie Photography