A short 10-minute walk from the Chapel leads past Collegehill House, a former coaching inn, and down to Rosslyn Castle. The Castle, which was ancestral home of the St Clair family, stands on a rocky promontory and is surrounded on three sides by the River North Esk. The earliest part dates from 1304 and the present house, which dates back to 1622, is not open to visitors but can be leased as holiday accommodation through the Landmark Trust. The Castle is located in Roslin Glen, an area of outstanding natural beauty, with its ancient woodland and rich wildlife. Follow this link to see a video of the area.
Roslin Glen also has an important industrial and cultural heritage, as it was once home to Scotland’s largest gunpowder mill, with the waterwheels powered by the river, and a carpet factory operated between 1868 and 1968.
There are spectacular walks through Roslin Glen. There are some relatively steep climbs but the network of paths provide some enjoyable walks for the whole family. Sections of the path may be uneven, slippery and unfenced with some steep drops, so please be careful and wear suitable footwear. For their own safety please take care of children and keep dogs under close control.