Although the Chapel is known throughout the world, the Trust is keen to play an increasingly active role in the local community.
The connection between the Chapel and the village stretches back to the time of Sir Henry St Clair, who succeeded to the title around 1153 and died around 1214. The village is spelt ‘Roslin’ while the Chapel, castle and Earldom are ‘Rosslyn’; in both cases, the name is derived from two Celtic words Ross (a rocky promontory) and Lynn (a waterfall). Both are features of the river scenery below the Chapel.
The Trust works with a number of locally based groups, such as Brownies and Guides and there is a strong partnership with the local primary school, where pupils in the p7 class train as ‘Junior Guides’ and tell the story of the Chapel’s carvings, history and legends to other visiting schools. Each Junior Guide is presented with a badge which permits free access to the Chapel for life. Residents of the village, and wider EH25 postcode area, can apply for an annual pass giving free admission to the Chapel and visitor centre for a year.
Where possible, our events at the Chapel link into event programmes in the wider community, such as Midfest, Midlothian’s festival of arts and the Midlothian Science Festival. You can find out about our forthcoming events here.
The Trust also supports local groups, such as the Friends of Roslin Glen, a voluntary group which benefits from the sales of single-use bags in the Chapel’s shop. In spring 2014, a concert was held to help the Roslin and Bilston First Responders‘ fundraising efforts to purchase a public access defibrillator and in spring 2015, a fundraising concert was held to benefit the Friends of Saltersgate School, the Additional Support Needs School serving Midlothian. In 2016, a fundraising concert was held to support the Roslin Heritage Society and in autumn 2017, a concert raised funds for the village Brownies, Guides and Boys’ Brigade groups. Collections at the ‘Christmas by Candlelight’ evenings in 2014 and 2015, run with the congregation, have supported Midlothian Foodbank.